Although the designs and solutions are real, fictional content has been added for presentation purposes.
Based on user research, we identified areas of improvement, such as too much text, unclear navigation, and impersonal imagery.
Dividing the Content
To prevent overloading the user with text, we created sections for content. This encouraged content creators to limit text and to focus on one topic per section. It also visually separated topics and made the pages more scannable.
From previous user testing, we found that users were confused by the navigation, so we opted to use a mega menu. This allowed the user to see the most popular options without having to search.
We wanted to reinforce the friendly branding that the company is known for, so we moved away from generic, impersonal stock photos and used images that were specific and more intimate.