The goal was to update the site to a flat, modern style while retaining the brand presence. I was responsible for providing design direction.
Finding Weak Points
Based on user research, we identified areas of improvement, such as too much text, unclear navigation, and impersonal imagery.
To avoid overwhelming the customer, we separated the content into sections. Each section focused on a single topic. Visually separating the topics increased the ability to scan the page and encouraged content writers to limit text.
Based on the previous testing, we found that users were perplexed by the navigation. To reduce confusion, we decided to use a mega menu. Users could see the most popular options without searching.
We wanted to reinforce the friendly branding that the company was known for, so we moved away from generic, impersonal stock photos and instead used images that were specific and intimate.
One of our main concerns was how the content would translate to mobile, so we made sure that we tested how the navigation, content areas, and interactive elements worked on both large and small devices with users.
Knowing that mobile users would benefit from having more information in a smaller space, we styled all of the elements with smaller padding and margin. We also used color to indicate nested items.